History of the Church

History of the area

In 1875 an infants’ school that would also serve as a church was proposed for Ewloe. Dedicated in August 1877 as St. Winifred’s Chapel Schoolroom, the first service was led by the Rector, the Rev. Stephen E. Gladstone. The building had cost £600 and was located approximately where the A494 flyover is now. St. Winifred’s thrived and became a centre for the community, providing a church, school, further education institute, lending library and social centre. St. Winifred’s continued as a school until Ewloe Green Primary school was built in 1922 but continued as a church and church hall until the present church was built.

In April 1936, at the Hawarden Easter Vestry, the Rector announced that Lady Gladstone wished that a church be built to serve Aston and Ewloe as a memorial to her late husband Henry Neville, Baron Gladstone, who was Lord Lieutenant for the County of Flintshire from 1915 to 1935.

The church was consecrated on Holy Cross Day, 14th September 1938. At 2.20 pm a procession of the Churchwardens of Hawarden and Ewloe and over fifty priests left St. Winifred’s for the new church. The procession was met at the door of the church by the Lord Bishop and the Rector, the Revd. D. Saunders Rees and included the Bishop of Lincoln, Bishop Wentworth Shields – Warden of St. Deiniol’s Library, the former Bishop of Accra and the Dean of Chester. The occasion attracted a large crowd and was attended by numerous dignitaries as well as clergy. Admission to the service for the church people was by ticket only. The following Sunday The Lord Archbishop of Wales preached at the sung Eucharist.


1875 an infants’ school that would also serve as a church proposed for Ewloe.

1877 St. Winifred’s Chapel Schoolroom dedicated.

1922 Ewloe Green Primary school built

1936 April, Lady Gladstone proposes new church for Aston and Ewloe.

1938 September 14th Church of the Holy Spirit consecrated.

1939 Altar ornaments dedicated on All Souls. Day.

1963 the Silver Jubilee of the church celebrated.

1981 replacement organ dedicated.

1988 the Golden Jubilee of the church celebrated.

1994 original hot air heating system replaced with oil fired radiator system.

1997 a memorial garden was established on the left side of the south entrance.

1998 grade 2 listed status granted. The Diamond Jubilee was celebrated.

2003 A flower festival celebrated 65 years.

2006 major repairs carried out, mainly funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and CADW. Guttering was added to the dome roof and roof valleys were widened to prevent water ingress that had damaged the internal plaster work.

2011 a loop system combined with microphones and speakers was installed. New seating installed.

2018 A Flower Festival to celebrate 80 years.